Volunteering provides a way to meet new people while becoming familiar with community needs and activities. It is a way of exploring another career field. Arrival at a new base provides an excellent opportunity to give a few hours each week or month to build the skills to excel in a dream career. The change of pace can be beneficial and reduce stress.
Some people may have the education and training but no hands-on experience. Some employers consider lack of practical experience a disqualifier. Here's good news: many employers, including the Federal Government, consider volunteer time as qualifying experience in many instances. Volunteers help the community while helping themselves.
Individuals deciding against seeking full-time employment now have fears of getting "rusty" if skills are not maintained. The right placement will allow a volunteer to maintain those skills and make other contacts that may prove useful in the future.
Most importantly, volunteering can be just plain fun! Having a good time and contributing to the community are valid, uncomplicated ways to share one's time and talent.
MACDILL VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE (MacVIP)
The opportunity to participate in the MacDill Very Important People Program is available to those who volunteer at MacDill AFB regardless of their agency affiliation. The program is designed to promote "graduated" awards. Volunteers who participate in this program must earn hours each month to qualify for awards. Volunteers qualify for all awards listed under the number of hours volunteered during a 30-day period. Awards earned by volunteers, who visit MacDill AFB seasonally and are not used prior to departing MacDill AFB can be used during their next visit.
The volunteer awards below may be redeemed once per month, depending on the number of hours volunteered during a 30-day period.
(12 to 23 hours)
- Receive $10 FSS gift certificate
- Priority check-out at the Base Exchange
(24 to 39 hours)
All of the above awards plus:
- Mug with Volunteer decal (One time only)
- Receive $15 FSS gift certificate
- Priority check-out at the Commissary
Other Recognition Procedures
Each agency, with five or more volunteers, is encouraged to have a Volunteer of the Month Award.
All agencies utilizing volunteers can submit a Volunteer of the Quarter nomination. Each agency should submit a nomination to the Airman and Family Readiness Center to be considered for the Wing Volunteer/Volunteer Coordinator of the Quarter/ and Volunteer/Volunteer Coordinator of the Year Award.
- The Wing's Volunteer/Volunteer Coordinator of the Quarter will be recognized at the Wing Quarterly Awards Luncheon
- The Wing’s Volunteer/Volunteer Coordinator of the Year will be recognized at the Annual Award Volunteer Appreciation Banquet
- Volunteers who accumulate 500, 1,000 and 2,000 hours during the year will be recognized at the Volunteer Appreciation Banquet
- Angel Awards and the Volunteer Excellence Award will be recognized at the Volunteer Appreciation Banquet
We have volunteer job descriptions for over 50 agencies throughout the base. It's a great chance to meet new people, gain jobs skills, learn about a variety of services, and give back to the base and community. Join a winning team---Volunteer Today!!!
Call 813-828-3224 to volunteer or get more information.